The FAA closed airspace near the Atlantic on Saturday as the Pentagon prepared to shoot down a Chinese spy balloon.
At 2:40 pm ET, off the coast of South Carolina, the Pentagon shot down a spy balloon.
Watch the video:
🚨 BREAKING: US shoots down Chinese spy balloon off Carolinas coast.
— Benny Johnson (@bennyjohnson) February 4, 2023
Trending: LIVE NOW: Here’s President Trump’s Response to Joe Biden’s State of the Union Address – Video
On Tuesday, the US Navy posted photos of sailors retrieving parts of downed Chinese spy surveillance.
Pictures posted on Twitter by the United States Fleet Forces show sailors from Explosive Ordnance Disposal Group 2 recovering a piece of the balloon on Sunday.
“US Navy sailors assigned to Explosive Ordnance Disposal Group 2 recover a high-altitude surveillance balloon off the coast of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina on February 5, 2023,” the agency wrote on Twitter.
📍Atlantic Ocean – @USNavy Sailors assigned to Explosive Ordnance Disposal Group 2 recover a high-altitude surveillance balloon off the coast of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, on February 5, 2023. pic.twitter.com/QwjSFQEw1b
— US Fleet Forces (@USFleetForces) February 7, 2023
The Hill reported:
The Navy is still in the middle of a cleanup, which began Sunday after an F-22 balloon was shot down seven miles off the coast on Saturday. Sailors on several ships continue to scan the remains of the approximately 200-foot aerial object, which floated across the country. The balloon contained a device the size of a regional jet, US Northern Command head General Glenn VanHerk told reporters on Monday.
According to the Myrtle Beach city government, officials are advising citizens not to touch possible balloon fragments that may have reached the coast, “because it is part of a federal investigation and tampering could interfere with that investigation.”
The balloon incident has sparked harsh criticism of the Biden administration from Republican lawmakers — and some Democrats — who they call a failure to protect national security as the object flew over the country for a week.
Lawmakers announced Monday they plan to investigate the administration for allowing a foreign adversary’s surveillance equipment to violate U.S. airspace.
On Tuesday, the Pentagon said 6 Chinese spy balloons had been spotted over US territory in the Trump years.
But no one in leadership in the Trump administration or the US Intelligence Department has been notified.
The story is literally changing by the hour.
And General Keith Kellogg, the acting secretary and chief of staff of the United States National Security Council in the Trump administration, says he was never informed!
what is happening US military now says six Chinese spy balloons found in Trump years – but no one was notified https://t.co/Pv6g18Rn7s
— The Gateway Pundit (@gatewaypundit) February 7, 2023